- Purpose of PTA
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social and spiritual education.
Making every child’s potential a reality by establishing the New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc. (NYS PTA) as the premier association for parent involvement and advocacy for all children.
- To support and speak on behalf of the children in the schools, the community and governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parent in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- Every child deserves to have his/her basic needs met.
- Every child deserves an education designed to meet the child's needs.
- Public education is the appropriate forum to prepare children for participation in a democratic society.
- Every child deserves our continued commitment to advocacy.
- PTA will take the lead in parent involvement by training parents to be partners in education.
- PTA will take the lead in promoting the value of parent involvement with the community and educational partners.
- We are responsible for identifying, understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse membership.
- Educators are an integral part of our association.
- Education and leadership training and self-evaluation are essential at all levels.
- Programs and materials should be provided to enhance parenting skills.
- Challenging oneself leads to growth.
Why Should You Join the PTA
The number one reason to join the PTA is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. There are many more advantages, here are just a few:
- Get Connected: There's no better way to know what's happening in your school than by becoming a member of the PTA.
- Speak Up: Because the PTA is a forum for exchanging ideas, you are encouraged to make suggestions. The PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child's school.
- Witness Improvement: By getting involved, you'll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide many Arts in Education assemblies, curriculum-based programs, and social events - all vital to a school's success.
Get Involved! Meet People! Have Fun!